You are here
The Faculty of Education, Universitas Negeri Yogyakarta (FIP UNY) was originally the Pedagogy Department of Faculty of Literature, Pedagogy, and Philosophy, Universitas Gadjah Mada (FLPP UGM) Yogyakarta. Universitas Gadjah Mada (Universitit Negeri Gadjah Mada) was established on December 19, 1949, through Government Regulation Number 23 in 1949 regarding Regulations on Amalgamation of Higher Education Institutions into University.
When the exact date "Pedagogy Department" became part of the FLPP, UGM, and legal support were not known. The existence of the Pedagogy Department was legally confirmed through Government Regulation Number 37 of 1950 dated August 14, 1950.
Similar to “Gatutkaca” (one of the characters in Javanese “Wayang” stories) who at birth was named “Jabang Tetuka”, the Senate of the Faculty of Education agreed to determine the "birthday" of the Faculty of Education, UNY (as "Gatutkaca") since his birth as "Jabang Tetuka" (Pedagogy Department), not since it was named "Gatutkaca" (Faculty of Education or Faculty of Pedagogy, UGM). Therefore, August 14, 1950, was agreed (de jure existence of the Pedagogy Department of the FLPP, UGM) as the birthday of the Faculty of Education, UNY. This agreement was confirmed by the Decree of the Dean of Faculty of Education, UNY dated December 23, 2010.
This agreement was based on data tracked by the Team of Birth History Data Search, Faculty of Education, UNY, chaired by Drs. Dwi Siswoyo, M. Hum. with members of Drs. Sutiman, MPd. and Drs. Waluyo Adi, M. Pd., under the responsibility of Drs. Tatang M. Amirin, M. SI.
In the Annual Report of Universitit Negeri Gadjah Mada in 1951/1952, page 17, it was stated that the opening courses in the FLPP were held on January 23, 1951. Due to the situation in the country at that time, the courses did not immediately undertake even though the Pedagogy Department and the FLPP, UGM had already been established.
The report also stated that starting March 1, 1952, the FLPP, UGM was integrated into the Physical Education Academy as a part called "Baccalaureat Lessons for Physical Education."
Based on the Decree of the Minister of Education, Teaching and Culture, dated May 28, 1953, the FLPP, UGM received an additional Center for Education and Educational and Teaching Designer.
Furthermore, in the Annual Report of Universitit Negeri Gadjah Mada in 1953/1954, page 9, dated September 19, 1954, it was stated that the FLPP was divided into majors: Eastern Literature, Western Literature, History, Earth Sciences, Physical Education, and Pedagogics.
Starting on September 15, 1955, based on the Decree of the Minister of Education, Teaching and Culture Number 53759/Kab: Regulations concerning Completing the Structure of Universitas Gadjah Mada which was published in the Annual Report of the President of Universitas Gadjah Mada for the academic year 1954/1955, it was stated that the Faculty of Literature, Pedagogy, and Philosophy (FLPP) was divided into three faculties, namely (1) the Faculty of Literature, (2) the Faculty of Philosophy, and (3) the Faculty of Education (it is called the Faculty of Pedagogy).
Therefore, the development of the Faculty of Education at UNY from the Pedagogy Department of the FLPP, UGM was started on September 15, 1955, instead of September 19, 1955, as usually commemorated.
Starting from September 19, 1955, based on the Decree of the Minister of Education, Teaching, and Culture dated September 16, 1955 Number 33895/CIII, the Deans of the faculties within UGM were appointed. So, September 19, which has been commemorated as the birthday of the Faculty of Education at UNY, is the right day for the appointment of Deans within UGM. The Decree was read by the Rector of UGM, Prof. Dr. Sardjito at the UGM Open Senate Meeting on September 19, 1955.
Based on the Decree, the Dean of the Faculty of Pedagogy (it was not written as the Faculty of Education) was Prof. Drs. A. Sigit.
According to the Decision of P.J.M. President No. 1/1963 and the Instructions of J.M. Minister of Higher Education and Science and Minister of Education, Teaching and Culture No. 32 and 34 of 1964, the Faculty of Education, UGM, and the Institute of Teacher Education Surakarta were merged into the Teacher Training and Education Institute (known as IKIP Jogjakarta). Meanwhile, the Department of Special Education from the Faculty of Education separated itself and became an independent faculty within UGM. IKIP Jogjakarta was inaugurated by J.M. Minister of Higher Education and Science on May 21, 1964.